Go.In.Green in collaboration with SHOMOTA (online cloth pad store) had organized the “I LOVE CLOT PADS” contest. The best 10 answers have been selected to be published on the blog to raise awareness and that’s what today’s article is all about. The Idea behind the contest was to get to know the genuine opinion from the people about cloth pads so we can encourage others to make the sustainable switch.
Here are the top 3 out of top 10 (others I will be posting in the 2nd article) answers that we received.
Question: Why do you believe cloth pads are better than regular disposable pads and what is your personal experience with cloth pads?
- Free from chemicals, fragrances, plastics and adhesives.
- Comfortable to wear
- More economical in the long run
- I have been using disposable pads for the last 20 years. Never knew about reusable pads until a couple of months back when I started cloth diapering my baby. Really wish I knew about them much earlier. Anyway, I got a trial pack with different brands from Hygiene and you and used them for the first time last cycle. My favorite among them was Shomota. These are the reasons why I loved them:
- 1. Comfort: They are so so so soft and comfortable. No irritation or itching caused by disposables anymore
- 2. Secure: What I liked best are the snaps on the wings instead of the adhesives in a disposable. They make it more secure, unlike the adhesives which don’t stay in place most of the time. Also, I totally hate how these adhesives get stuck in the wrong places.
- 3. Colors: Last but not least, no more boring white disposable pads. Love love loves all the pretty colors and designs of my Shomota pads. 😍
2. Nimisha Nair:-
- I think that first of all disposable pads are very harmful to our health. The different chemicals used in it can be very toxic for us. Those toxins can also lead to cancer of the ovary.
- Secondly, disposable pads are not at all environment-friendly. They are made up of different layers of plastic which take years to decompose. On the other hand, cloth pads are comfortable to use, and it’s environment-friendly. It’s a traditional method just recreated in a modern way, so we don’t have any doubts about it. These pads are reusable, which again is a very great benefit for us. It’s like a one-time investment. Pay for it once and use it for years.
- I would surely like to try one. Before this, I had never heard about it. I mean I knew what these pads are but had my own doubts. But now as all my doubts are cleared, I would really love to use them.
3. Parul Gandhi:-
- Cloth pads have been traditionally used in India. They directly address the grave issue of disposing plastic waste and also use less amount of water in the process as the disposable sanitary pads are proven to consume more water during production.
- The reusable nature of cloth pads also makes them cost efficient.
- Plus, most companies involved in the production of cloth pads are small-scale ones who employ local labors and use locally grown produce, thereby producing employment opportunities.
- I made the switch to cloth pads two years ago and I have never looked back. They are certainly more comfortable and I don’t have to face the issue of rashes anymore. I also feel relieved as I know that I have opted for an environmentally safe menstruation practice.
I am very thankful to Shomota and team for the help and encouragement. You guys are doing a great work and all my best wishes to you 🙂 I also want to thank all the participants and people who are using cloth pads. Let’s make this world a better place to live in.